#shareyourstory

We were children with a magic touch. Everything that we walked upon turned to bold and beautiful. We kept our souls in lanterns, moved tog...

We were children with a magic touch. Everything that we walked upon turned to bold and beautiful. We kept our souls in lanterns, moved together with them held in front of us – bare and bright. They lit the way and we weren’t afraid to be seen in the glow. The woods were on our side; exploding into life as it caught wind of what we dreamed it could be like it never knew it was enchanted until we said so. We were the dreamers who gave the light a voice. The shadows brought us together and then fled from our feet.

But as children sometimes do, I wandered. Strayed from the herd with a curious heart. And in the dimmer light, I stumbled on the stones I couldn’t see. Everything I held, and had, and was, came crashing down with me. I ran home through the dark; bruised frame, broken lantern. I buried all the evidence I ever failed and with it, all the evidence I ever was. Never went back to the woods.

But through all the years somewhere in me was a voice. Small, like a whisper. Heavy, like an anchor. It said, “Love, you were never made for hiding. You are far too beautiful a thing.”

My story, was gathered in pieces. From faded pages torn from all the books. Books pulled from fires and attics, old shops that smelt like dust, and wisdom, and memory. 

Look, now I understand. We are the rumpled, the muddled, the unsightly little memoirs who are made to be seen. We are broken, yes. But we are together. Unearth the pieces, dig up the light you used to hold so proudly. Come close. Let yourself be seen again. There is a world lost beneath its burdens, and we are standing at its border with the strength to call it to rise again. If we would only have the courage to speak. We are broken, yes. But we are together. And we can make use of all the parts. Open up old boxes, bring everything you’ve got. We will stack our lanterns into lighthouses to guide our friends back home.


“Share your story love, you were never made for hiding. You are far too beautiful a thing.”


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hey Debbie,

    Did you write this poem or just post it from Alex G?
    I would love to use it in a project I am working on, with your (or whoever wrote it's) permission of course.

    Thanks,
    -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      This piece of writing was quoted from Alex G's video - as linked above. The writer was Alex G's friend, Torri Horness. All credits and relevant info is from the video so please reference them :) all the best with your project!

      Delete